47 Ronin is an upcoming 2013 American fantasy action film depicting a fictional account of the forty-seven Ronin, a real-life group of samurai in 18th-century Japan who avenge the murder of their master (stories, plays and other dramatic performances of the 47 Ronin story are commonly referred to as “Chushingura” in Japan). While the film is based on the true story of the forty-seven Ronin, it is a fantastical take, being set “in a world of witches and giants”.
Being produced by Universal Studios, the film is directed by Carl Erik Rinsch and stars Keanu Reeves, Rinko Kikuchi, Tadanobu Asano, Hiroyuki Sanada and an ensemble of other Japanese actors. Filming started in Budapest in March 2011; it moved to Shepperton Studios in London and will conclude in Japan. Scenes are filmed first in the Japanese language to familiarize the cast, and the scenes are filmed again in the English language.
The release date was moved from November 21, 2012 to February 8, 2013, then again to Christmas Day 2013.
The outcast Kai (Reeves) joins a group of Ronin, led by Kuranosuke Oishi (Sanada), who seeks vengeance on Lord Kira (Asano) for killing their master and banishing the group. The Ronin embark on a journey whose challenges would defeat most warriors.
- Keanu Reeves as Kai. Reeves’s character is half-Japanese and half-British; the character was created for the film.
- Tadanobu Asano as Lord Kira, the Shogun’s master of ceremonies and the one responsible for killing the Ronin’s master.
- Rinko Kikuchi as Mizuki, a lady who serves Lord Kira.
- Hiroyuki Sanada as Kuranosuke Oishi, the leader of the Ronin.
- Kou Shibasaki as Mika, the slain master’s daughter and Kai’s love interest.
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as the Shogun
- Jin Akanishi as Chikara Oishi, Kuranosuke’s son.
- Rick Genest as Savage
- Film News | Keanu Reeves fends off epic foes in 47 Ronin trailer (thejournalist.ie)