Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is an upcoming American television series created for ABC by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, based on the Marvel Comics organization S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division). The series is produced by Marvel Television, and is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sharing continuity with the films in that franchise. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D revolves around the character of Phil Coulson, with Clark Gregg reprising the role. A pilot, written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, and directed by Joss Whedon, was given the green light in late 2012 and filmed in early 2013. The series was officially ordered on May 10, 2013 and is scheduled to premiere on September 24, 2013 on ABC Channel.
Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world.
At the 2013 South by Southwest festival, Joss Whedon confirmed that Coulson is alive in the series, despite his apparent death at the hands of Loki in Marvel’s The Avengers. When describing his character’s return from the dead, Gregg said, “When Joss described to me the mystery…and the complexity and the unanswered questions about Phil Coulson standing there trying to deal with this, I found it so fascinating and so true to the world of the comics and mythology in general as I understand them that I was immediately in.”
- Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson: An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who oversees many of the division’s field operations. The character will headline the series.
- Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May: An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who is an ace pilot and weapons expert. The character was originally listed with the name Agent Althea Rice (a.k.a. The Cavalry) on casting sheets.
- Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward: An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who is a black ops specialist. He is a gruff, asocial manly man in his early 30s who is great at his job but not so great at getting along with his coworkers. Ward has a strong moral foundation and is not without his charm.
- Chloe Bennet as Skye: A civilian new recruit and computer hacker, described as “bubbly and goofy” but “also warm, edgy and witty.” She is in her late 20s and can more than hold her own in any situation. Skye is obsessed with superheroes.
- Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz: An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who specializes in weapons technology.
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons: An agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who specializes in life sciences (both human and alien) and is the close partner of Agent Leo Fitz.
OTHER CAST MEMBERS:
- Cobie Smulders reprises her role as Maria Hill in the pilot after her appearance in The Avengers. Joss Whedon stated: “I wanted very much to have Cobie in the pilot because as much as anyone else, she IS S.H.I.E.L.D. She’s cool and commanding, and has the dry humor that plays so well with Clark’s.”
- Ron Glass an alum of Firefly and Serenity also appears in the series.
- David Conrad has been cast in an unnamed, recurring role.
- J. August Richards was cast in an unspecified role in the pilot.
- ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ will debut on September 24th (theverge.com)
- Five Things To Know About ABC’s ‘Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.,’ Which Brings The Marvel Universe To TV (thinkprogress.org)
- ‘Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’: Clark Gregg Talks The Return Of Coulson, Joss Whedon On Ties To The Movies (huffingtonpost.com)
- Marvel Developing AGENT CARTER TV Series Around 1940s S.H.I.E.L.D. Operative Peggy Carter (collider.com)
- ABC’s ‘Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Surpasses 1 Million Facebook Fans Ahead Of Premiere (deadline.com)