Transcendence is an upcoming 2014 American science fiction thriller film that will mark the directorial debut of long-time cinematographer Wally Pfister. The film stars Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman, Rebecca Hall, Kate Mara, Cillian Murphy and Paul Bettany. Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are executive producers of the film. It is set to be released in theaters on April 18, 2014.
A terminally ill scientist downloads his mind into a computer. This grants him power beyond his wildest dreams, and soon he becomes unstoppable. Dr. Will Caster is an artificial intelligence researcher who strives to create a machine that possesses sentience and collective intelligence. Extremists who oppose technological advancement target him, but their actions drive him toward his goal. Caster also wants to become part of the new technology, and his wife Evelyn and his best friend Max Waters, also researchers, question the wisdom of this drive. Caster’s goal to acquire knowledge becomes one to acquire power, and he seems to be unstoppable.
- Johnny Depp as Dr. Will Caster, an artificial intelligence researcher.
- Morgan Freeman as Joseph Tagger
- Rebecca Hall as Evelyn Caster, Will’s wife and a fellow academic.
- Paul Bettany as Max Waters, Will’s best friend.
- Kate Mara as Bree
- Cillian Murphy as Anderson
- Clifton Collins, Jr. as Martin
- Cole Hauser as a military officer
- Cory Hardrict as a member of the RIFT Unit, an organization against technology.