Another movie to anticipate… Guardians of Galaxy… Well I haven’t read any comic books of this superhero group, but from the looks of it, I think it’s exciting. From the casting itself, it’s looks promising. Hoping that it wouldn’t deviate from the source material because if not then I guess it spells doom… but to adapt it into a movie it’s inevitable that there might be deviations of some sort, all they need to do is just minimize it and it will still be true and honest.
Guardians of the Galaxy is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is intended to be the tenth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film will be directed by James Gunn, with the screenplay written by Gunn and story by Nicole Perlman and Gunn. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, Benicio del Toro, John C. Reilly and Glenn Close are set to star.
In space, an American pilot and a group of futuristic ex-cons go on the run with a highly coveted object.
Producer Kevin Feige first publicly mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy as a potential film in 2010, and Marvel Studios announced that the film was in active development at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2012. Gunn entered negotiations to write and direct the film that August. In February 2013, Pratt was hired to play Star-Lord, and the supporting cast was filled out over the next few months. Filming began in July 2013 at Shepperton Studios in England. The film is scheduled to be released on August 1, 2014, and will be released in 3D.
At San Diego Comic-Con in July 2013, Kevin Feige stated that Thanos would be a part of the film as the “mastermind”.
- Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord: The leader of the Guardians. In this movie his name is Jason Quill. Describing his character, Pratt said, “He had a hard time as a kid, and now he goes around space, making out with hot alien girls and just being a rogue and a bit of a jerk, and through teaming up with these guys, finds a higher purpose for himself.”
- Zoe Saldana as Gamora: The adopted daughter of Thanos who ran away and trained to be an assassin. Saldana said that she would become Gamora through make-up rather than CGI or performance capture. On taking the role, Saldana said, “I was just excited to be asked to join by James Gunn and to also play someone green. I’ve been blue before [in Avatar].”
- Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer: A warrior in search of vengeance against Thanos. “There’s a point where I go to set every day and I still can’t freaking believe I got this job,” said Bautista. “It’s something that I wanted more than anything I ever wanted in my life. When I got it, I broke down and cried like a little baby.”
- Rocket Raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper.
- Groot voiced by Vin Diesel.
- Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser: Thanos’ admiral who hunts down the Guardians. Pace originally auditioned for Star-Lord.
- Michael Rooker as Yondu
- Karen Gillan as Nebula: An employee of Thanos who “has an interesting and complex relationship with Gamora”.
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath: An ally to Ronan and Thanos. Hounsou took the role because of his son, stating “…I have a four-year old son who loves superheroes….One day he looks at me and says ‘Dad, I want to be light-skinned so I could be Spider-Man. Spider-Man has light skin.’ That was sort of a shock. This is why I am excited to be a part of the Marvel Universe, so I could be hopefully provide that diversity in the role of the superhero.”
- Benicio del Toro as The Collector
- John C. Reilly as Rhomann Dey: The leader of Nova Corps.
- Glenn Close as Nova Prime: A leadership role within the Nova Corps.
- Peter Serafinowicz will play a Nova Corps officer.
- Ophelia Lovibond has been cast in an unspecified role.
- Lloyd Kaufman will have a cameo in the film.
- SDCC: Marvel’s “Guardians” Expand the Studio’s Cinematic Galaxy (comicbookresources.com)
- Comic-Con: Marvel Surprises with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Panel; James Gunn and His Cast Introduce Promising First Footage (collider.com)
- James Gunn Confirms Thanos for ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Says Rocket Raccoon Casting Reveal Coming Soon (slashfilm.com)